September is National Self-Care month! Whether you are a busy parent, a college student, or a hard-working individual, self-care is very important to incorporate into your life. We are all very busy, but we still need to find ways we can improve our health and quality of life without feeling burnt out or sluggish.
· Getting enough sleep is very important. Most adults need 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night. Going to bed at a decent hour is extremely important for those who get up early. Work on setting a time to lay in bed each night. Make sure the TV is off.
· Exercise is another important factor in our lives. Exercise can help in many ways both mentally and physically. Reduce your stress by taking a walk to clear your mind or go to the gym after work to let off any steam you have built up. Increasing your heartrate for 20 min per day at least 5 days a week is extremely beneficial.
· Schedule a Massage! These are also beneficial for both physical and mental health.
· Drink plenty of water. The cells, tissue, and organs in your body all need water to function properly. If you feel sluggish or have brain fog, this could be a sign of slight dehydration. If you are male, you need about 3.7 liters of water everyday and if you are female you need about 2.7 liters of water every day.
· Nutrition. Ensuring you get a nutritious meal at least 3 times per day is very important in providing fuel for your body. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables can help your body rid off any infections or bacteria. When you are stressed your body is less defensive with fighting off bad invasions so eating a healthy meal can help compensate with that.
· In our busy lives we typically put off self-care but taking care of ourselves should be our priority. Meditation is a great technique for relaxing our minds, but if you are not into meditation, a simple journal can really help. Writing down everything you are thinking about will help relax your mind.
Remember to always take care of yourself first so that you can achieve your goals better and faster.