Here are 6 fruits and vegetables that are harvested in June and some ways to prepare them:
- Strawberries are a seasonal favorite and who doesn’t love strawberries? You can put them in a smoothie, add to your yogurt or cereal, cover them in dark chocolate, or just eat them plain!
- t’s also “Salad Season”! Fresh leafy greens such as kale, spinach, and many lettuce varieties can easily be cut up to make a great salad! Just add your favorite toppings and go easy on the dressing! You could even cut up those strawberries and add them on top!
- Jazz up roasted broccoli by adding flavorful spices such as lemon pepper or garlic powder along with your chicken to make a great sheet pan dinner or boil the broccoli on the stovetop until tender, drain well, and add some lemon juice and butter!
- Potatoes are the most versatile of the June vegetables and can be prepared with minimal effort! You can make baked potatoes and add your favorite toppings or try a new twist like store bought rotisserie chicken tossed in buffalo sauce topped with crumbled blue cheese or ranch dressing. Or mix up Taco Tuesday with a baked potato topped with black beans, salsa, shredded Mexican cheese and sour cream! Make use of your grill this summer and look up all the different ways to season up olive oil tossed potatoes in Aluminum foil packets. Or try oven-roasting cut up potatoes along with onions, bell peppers and baby carrots tossed in olive oil and rosemary!
- Radishes-yes, I said radishes! Just add some simple seasoning like salt and pepper and roast those babies! Or you can slice them up and add them to your salad or make a delicious summer slaw with some spring cabbage.
- Asparagus is also harvested in June and can be prepared in a number of ways such as roasting in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Makes a delicious side for grilled steak or chicken!
Now let’s get out and celebrate National Fruits & Vegetable Month by picking up some fresh produce today at your local farmers market, grocery, or garden!!